[DeTomaso] headlights work but buckets to not raise up

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jul 4 01:06:25 EDT 2009

 In a message dated 7/3/09 4:35:50 PM, LEVITT1946 at aol.com writes:

> I would like to do some nightime driving except my buckets do not raise
> up. I can see that the headlights are on but buckets do not move at all.

Bob--your headlights worked before, did they not?   What (if anything) have
you changed?   If your lights worked properly before and suddenly stopped,
the chances are most likely that either one of your limit switches has
failed, or (*much* more likely) you toasted your headlight switch by running
high-powered headlamps without properly isolating the switch using relays to
actually power the lamps.

On your cross-country drive, were you driving at night using the high
beams?   If you have whippy-dippy halogen lights installed, that's a good way to
sizzle the switch.   Assuming your switch is bad, simply replacing it will
restore proper function to the lights--for awhile.   But you're just waiting
to burn up another switch.

The smart call is always to rewire the headlight circuit to incorporate
relays for the lamp power, both low and high beam.   You can either do it
yourself following any of a number of wiring schematics that are out there
(including mine), or you can do it the easy way with a plug-and-play wiring kit by
Rick Moseley, Rich Boschert, or Bob Timma.

When you order your new switch, be sure to specify whether you want a
1971/Euro style (with a symbol of a headlight) or a '72-74 USA-style (with the
word LIGHTS).   Wilkinson seems to have the best prices on switches these
days, as he's tooled up to produce a jillion of them recently.

And finally, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

> And unless you are lucky, once they're up, switching on
> the ignition will instantly lower the lights...

...unless you manually raise the lights, then turn on the headlight switch
*before* you turn on the ignition switch.

Mike (been there, done that, raised 'em by hand twice, learned my lesson
the second time!) :>)