[DeTomaso] A Northwest Pantera Day!

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Fri Jul 3 15:03:25 EDT 2009

Beautiful day here in the great Pacific Northwest.  We've really had a
phenomenal summer so far this year.  My wife and I both have the day off.

As we were getting up, I suggested we motor out to the Black Diamond Bakery
for breakfast and a drive in the country.  Now, before Reno, she wasn't
crazy about riding in the Pantera.  So, walking out to the driveway to go to
breakfast, I head for the Acura CL coupe.  She looks at me as I'm opening
her door and says "how come we aren't taking the Pantera?".  YES!!

Did my meter skip a beat or what?  In about two seconds I had my Pilotis on
and 6328 was warming in the driveway.  The drive to Black Diamond is only
about 6-7 miles, but it's all twisty two-lane through the trees and farms.
Excellent.  We pull up to the bakery and get a parking spot right in front
between a bunch of beautiful scooters out for a day.  I leave some Panteras
Northwest cards on the windshield and we go in to sit down to a super patio
breakfast with a view of Mt. Rainier and the surrounding countryside.
Elizabeth even commented that my Italian girlfriend was enjoying a day out
in the sun as well.

Feeling quite content, we come back out to find only one PNW card left on
the car.  We hop in and take the long way home South on Hwy 169 and then
West on Green Valley Rd through some picturesque farms and gentlemen
ranches.  A really cool, smooth, twisty two lane with the occasional clutch
of cyclists out for a ride - a nice 3rd gear cruise for about 6 miles.  The
windows are open, the sun is shining.  'Doesn't get any better.  I'm trying
not to scare my wife with my right foot, and it's a tough assignment.  Good
judgment prevails: happy wife, happy life.

At Hwy 18, we turn back towards home on Auburn/Black Diamond Rd through the
trees and finish (appropriately enough) on Thomas Rd. before getting back
home.

What a great way to start the weekend.  Have a great holiday everybody, and
stay safe.

Mike Thomas
Yellow '74 L 6328
Panteras Northwest