[DeTomaso] Electric Murphy

larry at ohiotimecorp.com larry at ohiotimecorp.com
Thu Jul 2 21:21:32 EDT 2009

Hi JC,

Let’s take a look at how this all works in a stock set up.

When you turn the key switch to the run position 12 volts is supplied to the balist resistor
or resister wire going to the + side of the coil giving it 6-8 volts (running power). When
the key switch is turned farther to the start position it sends 12 volts of power to the
firewall mounted starter solenoid “I” terminal (I think). When the solenoid energizes (big
relay) it sends 12 volt power to the starter on the big cable and also 12 volts on the “S”
terminal (I think it’s S) to the + side of the coil giving it the full 12 volts of power.

With the drain on the battery from the starter the coil needs as much voltage as it can get
to generate a good spark, to start the motor. That is why it bypasses the resistor in the
system.

Knowing how this all works you can see that the key switch is most likely dropping the 12
volts when it is in the run position. The motor will run in the start position as it is
getting it 12 volts from the starter solenoid.

Back in the old days some people, of low morels, would “hot wire” a car (or even a back hoe).
This involves a long wire with an "alligator clip" on each end. One end goes on the battery
side of the solenoid and the other end of the wire goes to the + (bat) side of the coil. This
is replacing the 12 volt feed from the key switch. Your car should start and run fine if this
is the problem and I am betting a Norwegian beer it is.

Remember you will need to remove the "hot wire" to stop the motor.

Larry (have my own back hoe now) - Cleveland

On Thu Jul  2 17:02 , 'Jørn C. Olsen' <joernco at online.no> sent: