[DeTomaso] Rear caliper rebuild

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Thu Jul 2 19:14:30 EDT 2009

I am refreshing a set of stock rear calipers, and I am challenged at separating the parking brake mechanism from the caliper main body.  It appears that there is an internal c-clip that is visible, behind the primary piston after it is removed, that must be extracted to release the parking mechanism.

Unfortunately, the c-clip is rather stiff and does not have the benefit of holed tabs to use a traditional c-clip removal tool.  Rather, the c-clip is simply cut at an angle on it's ends.

Obviously, they did not believe removal to be necessary.

I have not had success with prying it out, yet.  I'll keep trying.  However, does anyone on the forum have experience with this exercise and would you be able to provide advice/suggestions?

Thanks

JT