[DeTomaso] Damper

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jul 2 13:22:54 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/1/09 12:35:45 PM, doug at silicondesigns.com writes:

> Our esteemed Jack DeRyke has mentioned in the past that some 351C dampers
> may be too light for the task)

Yup. Over the Cleveland V-8's 5 yr mfg period, Ford sold rubber-damped
harmonic balancers that weigh anywhere from 8.9 lbs to 12 lbs, all for
"Clevelands", the later ones being heavier. In addition, the balancers could be both
pressed & bonded, or simply pressed-together (the pressed & chemically
bonded ones were used on Boss 351 and HO engines with mechanical valvetrains that
revved higher). I now use a 12 lb Romac pressed & bonded unit with their
mechanical locking device to prevent the outer ring from separating. Romac
sells these for competition, for around $250. Seems to do the job- but only 2
yrs old. Cheers- J Deryke