[DeTomaso] More on starter studs

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Jul 2 00:10:04 EDT 2009

Hi guys,

I've been doing some more web noodling in search of proper replacement
studs.   It's curious how they are designated; to me the smart way to do it
would be to define the overall length, and the length of each threaded portion.
 That's not how they do it however.

Instead, they have different stud nomenclature for different ratios of
nominal length (that is, the length of the non-threaded center plus one threaded
end) vs. overall length.   Check out the M10 studs on these three pages:

Type 939: http://www.metricmcc.com/catalog/Ch1/1-117.pdf
Type 938: http://www.metricmcc.com/catalog/Ch1/1-119.pdf
Type 835: http://www.metricmcc.com/catalog/Ch1/1-120.pdf

Compare studs of the same nominal length.   Let's consider an M10 stud that
has a 60mm nominal length.

Type 939 is 72mm in overall length, meaning that 12mm of the short end is
threaded.
Type 938 is 70mm in overall length, meaning that 10mm of the short end is
threaded.
Type 835 is 80mm in overall length, meaning that 20mm of the short end is
threaded.

So the two things I need to know are the nominal length and the overall
length of the stock stud.   Based upon that, I could then figure out how much
longer the new stud would have to be.

Anyone? Anyone?   Bueller?

Anybody who has their bellhousing sitting on the ground with the studs
sticking out, it would be great if you could pull one and make the necessary
measurements.   I have a feeling the Pantera vendors rely on a kluge technique,
i.e. threading bolts into each end of the bellhousing to make it work,
instead of using a proper stud.

Thanks!