[DeTomaso] Damper

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jul 1 21:02:34 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/1/09 1 02 55, hemipanter at hemipanter.se writes:

> Anyone knows where to find a hm damper for the 351C?

Goran,

Are you talking about a Holman-Moody damper?   When you talk Performance
Ford, HM immediately brings to people's minds Holman and Moody, the race shop
that tuned many racing Fords in the 60s and 70s including NASCAR and GT40s.

If you're just talking about a good high-performance damper, I raised this
very question to Dan Jones, knower of all things Ford, a few weeks ago, and
this is what he said:

====

 I'm not a fan of Professional Products, Pro Form, TCI, Fluidampr or Engine
Works harmonic dampers.  The good ones are FRPP, Powerbond, Innovators West
and BHJ.  ATI is good too but expensive.  Powerbond is an Aussie company
and last time I checked is making the Pioneer SFI-spec balancers.  For a
351C,
the FRPP damper is p/n M-6316-C351.  Summit sells it for around $250 but
if you shop around some, you can probably find an FRPP discounter that
can beat that price.  You might drop a line to Alex at monymkrssla at aol.com

and see what he has to offer.  I think he handles at least the Powerbond
and
FRPP parts.  I've got a Powerbond SFI balancer on the dyno engine, an FRPP
on another and Romac on a third 351C.  The white Pantera is still running
the Ford damper.  I need to do something about that one of these days...

Dan Jones

====

Based on further discussions with Dan and Alex, I got the Powerbond SFI
race damper (you can read about it here):

http://www.precisionparts.com.au/Pages/Product%20Profile/powerbond.htm

>From his friend Alex, and the price was in line with the FRPP unit.   Alex
said that FRPP had shifted their production from the USA to China and the
quality was now suspect, so he doesn't carry them anymore.