[DeTomaso] Questions on the Rick Moseley relay kit

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Wed Jul 1 12:55:34 EDT 2009

Mike wrote >>>:

>>>Again there's a misunderstanding of what the relay kit is, and what it
does.  The bank of relays on the kit is used to control the headlights, not
the fans.

I don't have a diagram for Rick's kit but your statement above implies that
Rick's kit doesn't solve the "fan current through the ignition switch"
problem.  Does it?  Since Asa Jay's concern was about fan relays, my intent
was to show a simple way to solve the "fan current through the ignition
switch" problem without the expense of Rick's setup.  I very much like the
looks and quality of Rick's system but some prefer to keep the car looking
as stock as possible.

-----------------------
>>>My car operates in the same manner and I find it a nuisance.  I have a
battery disconnect that I always use because there's no good reason to drain
the battery spinning the fans to cool water in the radiator when the engine
isn't running.

Like I said "Some may not like this (run till cool) mode of fan operation"
but I prefer it.  Not just for the racing reasons I cited in my last email
but also because it's difficult to hear your fans spinning when the engine
is running due to the loud exhaust.  Every time I turn off my car I hear the
reassuring sound of my fans.  I once caught a failing fan motor this way
because it was making a squealing noise you'd never hear with the engine
running.  The energy used by the fans in the 2 minutes or so it takes for
them to shut off is only about 1% of the capacity of a typical car battery.
If your battery won't handle this, you need a new battery.

------------------------
Here's the mod again, in a nutshell, with directions for wiring it either as
a "run till cool" or "turn off with the key" type system.  The "turn off
with key" method only requires an extra wire and "4-terminal" type relays.

Tap off the alternator (load) side of the ammeter with a 12AWG wire over to
a small auxiliary ATC type fuse block screwed to the firewall near the stock
main fuse panel.  Be sure to put corrugated plastic cable covering over the
12 AWG wire between the ammeter and the auxiliary fuse block.  Move the 2
thick pink fan relay feed wires from the main fuse panel's #11 & #12
locations to separate 15A fuses in the new auxiliary block.  For a "RUN TILL
COOL" type system, you're done.

For a "TURN OFF WITH THE KEY" type system, replace the stock 3-terminal fan
relays near the radiator with 4 terminal relays.  Then add an additional 18
AWG wire connection between the load side of fuse 11 and one of the coil
terminals on both relays.  If you buy an ISO type relays whose terminals are
conveniently numbered, connect them as follows:

Terminal 85 via 18AWG wire to load side of fuse 11.
Terminal 86 to temperature switch.
Terminal 30 via pink wire to auxiliary fuse block.
Terminal 87 to fan.

Doug Braun
blue73L #5505