[DeTomaso] Questions on the Rick Moseley relay kit

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Wed Jul 1 00:37:17 EDT 2009

Mike is correct, sorry if I mislead folks.  The relay kit reduces the
load on the Headlight switch and fuses, and reduces the load on the fan
fuses, at least according to Mike's own diagram found on The Pantera
Place in the article "Volts of Confidence."

I will be replacing the two fan relays triggered by the
thermo-switches.  I'll probably wire them both in parallel, one driving
each fan but both triggered by the same thermo-switch.  I browsed
through Napa and Del City Wire today.  There -are- weatherpak -relays-
and connectors available.  I'll shop around a bit more but probably will
not replace with original equipment as I can tell you -they- are -not-
sealed, at least those on -my- car were not.

The relay kit is now installed in my Pantera.  It was a rather simple
installation.  I double checked my wiring diagram at each step,
validating the hookups.  The only hookup left is the Ammeter.  I elected
to go with the Ammeter for a couple of reasons.  First, the wiring
bundle was already nicely taped and I didn't want to un-tape it just to
get the feed wire on the outside, in the trunk.  Second, I'll get a much
better reading of charge/discharge if it's hooked to the load side of
the Ammeter.  Eventually, I plan to replace the Ammeter with a Voltmeter
but that's down the road a ways.  I -did- remove the Ammeter in order to
clean the connections and snug up the posts.  I'll probably also get a
set of washers as recommended by SOBill Taylor.

However....... on my way in to the Ammeter... I BUSTED my heater fan
switch.  As I was gently pulling the gauge panel forward, it simply
snapped in two.  Nice.  I guess that means it was due.

Anyone have a heater fan switch they'd like to part with?

Photos begin here:
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2770

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired