[DeTomaso] An option for the header problem

David in Durango adin at frontier.net
Sat Jan 31 14:48:41 EST 2009

Thank you: Goran, Chuck, Jack, Paul, and Merril - I appreciate your sharing and help!

The vehicle in question is a 302 powered Miata. (probably not recommended - read on)
Bought this car "mechanically sorted" - there is the joke of the century.
Anyway, got it running (ffffi - fords effing fiddly fuel injection - actually the ignition used thereon) but that's another story.  Went for a ride last night (after a 1/2 in the driveway idling) to make sure the dang thing wouldn't "stall" again.  So, 20 minutes in the neighborhood and I thought a run  up the valley (10 miles) should be safe.

About 3 miles from home I get a "little noise" that sounded like 1/2 the exhaust system had fallen off.  Since I've been babysitting the header bolts for a while, I'm pretty sure what my plans for sat. morning were going to be.

After hitting all the bolts w/ my trusty open end stubby, and why I don't know, I thought I would feel the end of a spark plug.  So, two loose spark plugs is the real answer.

I sure appreciate the tips - if/WHEN the motor comes out I'll certainly apply these tips cause after two hours bent over this bitch I'm pretty certain it won't happen in the car.  Good excuse to upgrade the trans, too.

Now that my cut has stopped spurting all over the desk, I'm gonna go play some more!

cheers and beers,

David in Durango