[DeTomaso]   Slippery Slope: Shift Linkage U-Joints, Replacementsd

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Jan 28 15:52:58 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/28/09 10:55:54 AM, steven.liebenow at att.net writes:
snip.....
> The Mangusta uses a similar arrangement, but the boyz at the factory saw
> fit to WELD their "couplers" to the various pieces of the shafts, both shift
> and steering.  This leaves Goose owners little option but to replace the actual
> u-joint.....

I'd bet one could carefully cut only the welds, thus losing very little of
the 'Goose's actual u-joint. A hole carefully bored sideways thru the u-joint's
splines (if they're present!) with a 'flat' ground on the shaft, along with a
hacksawed slot would allow a pinch-bolt to be installed to replicate the
Pantera setup with the same degree of safety. Or, if there actually are splines
inside and they're the same size, you could use the Borgeson aftermarket joints
that fit a Pantera. Hey, Steve- if it was easy, you'd get bored! Cheers- J
Deryke