[DeTomaso] Radiator drain and new hoses

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 12:38:18 EST 2009

<<< how hard is it to install the Gates Blue stripe hose? >>>

FWIW, it's called "Green-stripe" hose.

<<< I've used a smidgen of Dawn Dish washing liquid as a lubricant on the male parts to
help facilitate easier installation, I don't see what a little WD-$0 could hurt either >>>

I often coat both the inside of the hose and the male fitting with silicone (little aerosol can)
to ease assembly; completely benign to the hose too. A mechanic neighbor turned me on
to this trick years ago.

<<< Consider double hose clamps as well and make sure that the srcew/tightener part
isn't facing down underneath the car where it might hit a speed bump or road debris. >>>

Good advice about clamp positioning.  Not a lot of room for double clamps in some spots.
Instead of double clamping, I used High-Torque stainless hose clamps throughout my car
and have not had a leak in 4 years and 22,000 miles.

My hose update:
http://www.banzairunnerpantera.com/updates_radhose.htm

More info about the Breeze HTM-200 heavy duty stainless hose clamps I used:
http://www.breezeclamps.com/hitorque.htm
http://store.qualitydist.net/brz-htm-200.html
http://www.impco.com.au/pdf_files/Heavy_Duty_Catalogue_Complete.pdf