[DeTomaso] ORR Tires

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 23 08:25:34 EST 2009

The key is to get Eric to approve your choices in writing well ahead of time.
This last SS I couldn't get a reply to several emails starting about a week prior to the event.
I purchased tires the day before with two month old date codes and the highest speed rating. Still, I was nervous he wouldn't like the brand (Falken) or the width or something.
A couple of years ago I got seriously stroked because of having Yokohama AVS ZR345-35-15's fresh from the factory (Japan), never mounted, but with a date codes 7 years and one month old. They said there limit was 6 years, which wasn't in the published rule book at the time. Said they were following TIre Rack's recommendations. Tire Rack says 7 years.
They are doing this for everyone's safety but it would be helpful if they make all these items totally clear and perhaps include advice on how to locate and interpret date codes and such. They owe us polite and responsive communication.
When you order tires, make sure the dealer will specify date codes. If not, find another source who will. I now know a good place in LA.
If you are thinking about running SS just make sure you let The Dawg know what you plan to run and he, and other vets, can coach you on passing tech. The good thing is, your car will end up safer.

Dan

Dan F. Courtney

La Jolla, CA

(858) 551-5455 Phone