[DeTomaso] From the Horses Mouth - SSCC tire rules from Head of Tech

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 13:06:17 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/22/09 10 00 46, teampantera at yahoo.com writes:

> If you have found a 15" tire you think meets the tech rules I think Scott's
> previous advise is still the best course to follow....that is contact Eric
> directly.

Yes, because for all the formal rules published, there are ten times as many
informal, arbitrary rules that are made up on the spot, and subject to change
from one event to the next.

For example, there is nothing in the rules that states that the tires have to
be from the same manufacturer, front and rear.   Yet showing up with two
different brands of tires will likely get you sent home, even if they are both
with a sufficient speed rating.

Or, not.   Depends on his mood.

Showing up with brand-new Z-rated 17-inch tires from a manufacturer that he
doesn't happen to favor might get you put on the trailer as well.   Remember
when (Doc Abe I think?) showed up with brand new Z-rated Yokohama tires, and
Eric wouldn't let him run, just because?   He offered no valid reason as I
recall--just said 'no'.   Doc was forced to drive back to Las Vegas and buy
different tires.

Don't get me started....