[DeTomaso] different versions off 351C

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jan 21 23:13:26 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/21/09 13 13 59, detomaso at luleweb.se writes:

> Is it exact same engine (heads, piston, cam etc.) in a US Pantera and a
> Euro
> Pantera?
> If not, what are the differences?

Internally they are exactly the same (talking about 1971-1974 Panteras).
There were several different engines used between 1971 and 1974, but the
European cars switched at the same time as the American cars.   The European GTS did
receive some external engine modifications, in the form of an aluminum Ford
intake manifold, Holley 650 double-pumper carburetor, and freer-flowing exhaust
system.   But internally there were no changes.

> How many different versions off 351C is it in Pantera cars up to 1975?
>
>>>TSB #4 lists three different engines used for 1971 and 1972:

K613J      351-4V    Cleveland     10.7:1      1971
K621JG     351-4V      CJ             8.6:1          1971
KK621SG      351-4V     CJ             8.6:1       1971

But I thought I saw a listing elsewhere that had more engine types than that.

> Is a De Tomaso 351C engine 100% Ford engine/parts or did De Tomaso some
> changes/ improvement?
>
>>>Everything is Ford; on the Euro GTS and Gr3, quality aftermarket Ford
parts (and a Holley carburetor) were substituted, but internally they are all
stock--even the Gr3 cars.