[DeTomaso] 4-bolts main caps block

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 17:32:12 EST 2009

> Never.  It's nice but not necessary.  There's this rank amatuer engine
> builder named Jack Rousch who feels the same way.  Taught him all he
> knows. :)

It's fairly common for guys drag racing 351C's to see main cap
walking with 2 bolt main caps.  The caps will rub against the
block and transfer metal.  I know of one local racer who had
his main caps just drop off the block (no tension left at all).
RPM is the culprit.  These guys are turning 8000 RPM.  Lately,
they've been using the Besel main caps which eliminated that
problem and allowed them to turn more RPM which led to splitting
cylinders.

Dan Jones