[DeTomaso] Opinion Requested

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Wed Jan 21 17:13:28 EST 2009

Hi Scott,

Careful what you ask for  :->)

I get one or two of these requests every week due to my background and
to my work with POCA.  It seems as if everyone who has indoor plumbing
wants to put up a community-based web site that purports to be THE place
where everyone gathers to talk about whatever the central topic is, post
pictures, and read articles.  Due to a poverty of the imagination, these
site names usually start with "My" e.g. "My Dodge", "My Poodle", etc.

These types of sites tend to work well only if there is a natural group
affinity such as Pantera owners who NEED to exchange technical
information.  Sites that are too broad or do not have a natural group
affinity tend to get visited once then never again.

I am guessing that the My VRL site in its current form will get visited
by many people who will look at the pretty pictures then never return.

Mark