[DeTomaso]   15in tire options Update

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jan 21 03:36:16 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/20/09 23 48 33, detomaso at gmx.com writes:

> 15 inch 295-50-15 tires are avaiable over here in Germany:
> Hankook Ventus ST RH06 "V" rated for appr.200 US Dollar
> Kumho Ecsta STX KL12  "H"rated for appr. 190.00 US Dollar

Also available in Germany, the Maxxis MA-S1 Marauder, 295/50-15 108V
(V-rated).   The same tire is sold here with an H-rating.   I cornered the Maxxis tech
rep at the SEMA show and asked him what the heck was going on.   He admitted
that it's the same tire, but manufactured in a different plant.   European
countries have more stringent standards, so they get marketed with a V-rating
over there.

He couldn't tell me where the USA tires are made; he said Maxxis (which is
the 21st century name for the well-known and fairly respected Taiwanese company
Cheng Shin, which has been making tires since 1967 and is the largest bicycle
tire maker in the world, 12th largest auto tire maker in the world) has
numerous plants all over the world.   The V-rated tires are most likely made in
their German plant, while the H-rated US tires are probably made in the USA.