[DeTomaso] That Slippery Slope

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jan 18 17:12:07 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/18/09 11:38:55 AM, tborcich at msn.com writes:
snip.....
> I'm probably going to put a slightly hotter cam than whats there now 498
> int/518 exh. I'd like to go to 550-600 lift? and for sure SS one piece valves,
> new springs, retainers, keepers and will probably clean up the casting flash
> just under the valves and polish the exhaust ports and roller rockers.

Your present list of parts is great for a hot street engine. But up above
0.550" valve lift is where the valves and piston crowns start to get
over-friendly with each other, so for safety's sake you'll need to check valve-to-piston
clearances. If the check shows too little clearance- especially on the
exhausts, there are slip-in cutters that position through the cylinder heads and use
the valve guides to hold the cutter in the right position. Obviously, this is
easiest done with the engine out of the car, and it means stripping a single
head (or using any spare Cleveland head). Cams can be replaced with the engine
installed.
As for the rod bolts, for direct replacement use Boss 351 bolts AND NUTS-
180,000-psi with a 'football'-shaped head rather than the squarish-pentroof
stockers. P/n D1ZZ-6214-A (Boss bolt) and D1ZZ-6214-B (Boss nut). These
high-strength economically priced bolts can be replaced one at a time without affecting
your rod sizing. A check of the rod bearings will tell you if any rod needs
rework; the used bearing should show even wear over the whole surface with zero
copper visible. One part you didn't list is a 10-quart oil pan and believe me,
this is VITAL in a Pantera- even on the street. Aviaid or Armando are your
only choices, along with a stock oil pump, not high-anything, and an aftermarket
oil pump driveshaft (about $15).
Good luck- J Deryke (waaay down the slope.....)