[DeTomaso] Fw: Panteras at BJ

JJD1010 at aol.com JJD1010 at aol.com
Sat Jan 17 14:35:31 EST 2009

These  Cats have been around a long time and are only bringing in $32k for a
nice  car?

.
We've been having this discussion since the mid 70s. In my opinion,  there
are a lot public prejudices to overcome.

        *    bad info  and press about the cars, especially in the early years
        *    inappropriate  modifications made to too many cars
        *    too  many lousy cars foisted off on unsuspecting (and
unknowledgeable) buyers
        *    and  there are a few things that aren't great about the cars

And so, a vicious circle kept spiraling to undercut the  value of the cars.
Cars don't go up in value; owners do not  or can not justify spending the money
to properly maintain  them; a lot of cars really aren't very good; prices
stay low. So the  perception continues that they aren't very good cars and aren't
worth a lot  of money. Unfortunately, cars going to Barrett-Jackson reinforce
those  perceptions.

The good news, however, is that we, as a group, are breaking  that cycle and
are spending the money to resto-mod the cars  appropriately, not necessarily
back to stock. A significant benefit to  Pantera ownership as far as I'm
concerned.

The new POCA web site, although not fully implemented, is designed to
present a better face to the public. So maybe the fully functional POCA  website and
Chuck Melton's registry will help. And maybe not.

As for me, I'd rather drive a Pantera than the $50-100k muscle cars  being
sold at the BJ auction.

Jeff
6559
steps!