[DeTomaso] 15in. tires-the options again...and again...

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Wed Jan 14 23:09:15 EST 2009

I was in a repair shop today, much to my delight, having an alternator
replaced on my everyday driver, on the way to work.  A bit unexpected
you might say.

While there I asked a simple opinion.  What do you think the chances
are, of seeing 15 inch rubber again in the next 10 years?

Not a freakin' chance.  Well, he put it a bit more politically correct,
explaining that what 15 inch rubber started to experience 10 years ago
is not happening to 16 inch rubber, it's getting really hard to find.
Most new cars, even the smaller cars, econo-boxes and rice-racers, are
coming with 17 inch wheels if not larger, as stock.  There does not seem
to be a reversal in this trend.  He said he couldn't concur up a though
of anything using a 15 inch wheel from the factory anymore, maybe some
off-the-wall-econo-crap-box, but nothing mainstream.  His opinion was
that 15 inch is antiquated in anything go-fast at all, and 16 is on the
way out.

Having looked for tires myself in the last six months, and using up some
40 hours of my personal time to do it, I agree.  I found it hard to find
appropriate rubber in 16 inch size much less 15.  Oh you can still get
it, but it's getting scarce and will cost you.

<sigh>

Asa Jay
<saving for a set of Wilkinson wheels.>

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired