[DeTomaso] up size wheels and tires

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 13:11:40 EST 2009

Fwiw, keep in mind Steve Wilkinson and some of the other vendors are also making 18x9.5" rears Campy clones .....Art "Crash" Stephens and I both got our 17x8" fronts and 18x9.5" " rear forged wheels  from  Steve due in part to the fact that it became difficult to find Y & Z speed rated rear 17" tires that were also 27" in diameter. I'm happy the way they and the BFG G-Force KDW's handle on the road and the track....I have not noticed any difference in handling over an earlier 16" Front and 17" rear wheel change. Check photos of the mounted wheels and tires on our web site <www.teampanteraracing.com>

Mad Dawg Antenucci
Team Pantera Racing

MikeLDrew at aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 1/13/09 18 59 7, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> Any opinions would be welcome .

Lots of people put 17s on the front and rear.   The vendors like to push this
option for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that it keeps
*their* costs way down, because they only have to produce 17-inch wheel centers,
which can be used on both front and rear wheels.

When Wilkinson first came out with the idea of modern wheels in the Campy
mold, he realized that due to the differences in the backspacing between front
and rear, the rear wheels needed to be larger in diameter than the front ones in
order for them to actually look the same.   To that end, he created a system
with 16x8 front wheels and 17x11 rears.   Later, Marino at Pantera East
followed suit.

Tire availability is a concern for some; there are only about a dozen
245/45-16 front tires available, while there are almost 70 (!) different 245/40-17
tires, FWIW....

Mike

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2
easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215855013x1201028747/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bc
d=DecemailfooterNO62)