[DeTomaso] Toyo 15in. tires-the options again...and again...fronts

Matt matt at nwpantera.com
Wed Jan 14 01:46:02 EST 2009

Ok, the message is: Change out the old tires for new if you drive it near other people. The mounted tire BFG experience is about over. Chalk it up to maintenance, kinda like insurance...and changing oil,and houses,and wifesandstuff and aged rubber on the road.

I am leary of mixing tread patterns but want to stick with the same brand at least.
If you've driven on Toyo's for long enough to form an opinion please chime in. Street driven.Streets are not always the same though and the NW is wet alot.What 's your experience?

If I buy the Toyo rear 295/50-15 Proxes 4 (and I don't see any other options out there at the moment.)
http://www.discount-tires-2go.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=174814&InfoID=4853&ShowLarge=True

The real question is what front tires do I choose?
I'm given 3 options in the 50series/15in. range from Toyo -

The Proxes 4
http://www.discount-tires-2go.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=172527&InfoID=4853&ShowLarge=True
or the TR1
http://www.discount-tires-2go.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=174408&InfoID=4853&ShowLarge=True
or the R888
http://www.discount-tires-2go.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=174820&InfoID=4853&ShowLarge=True

On a side note the tire size climate could always change i.e. go retro. With the trend going to smaller cars I believe smaller high performance tires will follow.
Most new cars and electrics are smallish and our 15's will be plentiful sometime in the near future when the demand is there from the manufacturers,whoever survives.

but for now which Toyo 225's work best with the 295's ?

toyo just doesn't sound right on a Pantera...but I need fresh rubber

Thanks, Matt
3584