[DeTomaso] Comments about engine build welcome

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 15:42:38 EST 2009

> Where did MME post their SCAT prices?  I can't find it on their website
> www.mmeracing.com.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/215649/message/1231200408/MME+2009+stroker+kit+pricing

393 Cast steel kit with 9000 series crank ,4340 I beam rods with 7/16
cap screws and non custom forged pistons 1199$

408 Cast steel kit with 9000 series crank ,4340 I beam rods with 7/16
cap screws and non custom forged pistons 1199$

We have tested these kits to 735 hp at 7500rpm. These stroker kits fit
and work. We build them every day. Other options are available
including ring and bearing kits and balancing. Dish pistons add 20$

Forged kit pricing will follow

Mark McKeown
McKeown Motorsport Engineering, Inc.
http://mmeracing.com

> Would Chris' MindTrain headers fit CHI or AFD heads or are these
> heads the high exhaust port type that require different headers?

The CHI heads have a slightly raised exhaust ports.  If your headers
have about a 1/2" vertical and lateral clearance, they should work.
I've seen some Pantera headers that had very little clearance with
iron 4V heads so those headers wouldn't work but other Pantera headers
will.  I've never examined the MindTrain headers so don't know about
them.

> And wouldn't CHI-3V heads be a better choice for his 408 than CHI-2V?
> Doesn't the added displacement beg for the higher flow heads?

Yes and yes.  However, the 3V port design restricts you to the two
compatible intake manifolds, the very tall CHI single plane and
Scott Cooks low rise dual plane.  Other considerations may lead people
to choose the CHI-4V or CHI-2V or AFD 4V or other (C302B high port
heads).  For instance, if you wish to run an independent runner EFI
system, no intake manifold exists for the CHI-3V heads.

> What do you consider an efficient enough exhaust in order for the
> LSA to be as low as 104 for a 408 stroker?  Would a MindTrain system
> qualify?

I've never tested the MindTrain system so I can't say.  A very efficient
muffler like the 3" inlet/outlet we used on dyno testing is a must, as
is a header with a decent collector.  A cross-over also helps with
narrow LSA's.  Unless you are prepared to dyno test a coule of cams,
I'd tend to go wider than 104 if things like idle quality are important.
Also, you might need supplemental vacuum for the brake boosters.
Kirby ran a 105 LSA solid flat tappet cam and may be able to comment.

Dan Jones