[DeTomaso] 428 tunnel port

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 13 01:11:44 EST 2009

Actually, it's a 427 TP.  The valves are supposed to be too large for a 428 bore (4.13).  I don't have any first hand knowledge, so I can only quote what I read.

I've always wanted a 427TP.  They are supposed to be streetable in a light car - like a Cobra.

You can find them on ebay about 4 or 5 times a year, but they're nearly always damaged - usually cracks, but sometimes dings from dropped valves.

Dove makes reproductions, with the normal Dove issues.  They just made a bunch of 427 SOHC parts, including the heads.  They brought in some foundry experts to fix their casting issues - porosity/etc.  It was documented on the FE forum (network54).  If I recall correctly, they were pouring the aluminum too hot, plus they were using the wrong adhesive in the castings, so when they poured the aluminum, part of the adhesive would melt into the castings - which would cause porosity problems.

At any rate, maybe they made the same changes with their other castings, so maybe, just maybe their porosity problems are behind them.  It would be pretty cool to get a set of aluminum 427TP heads of the same quality as Edelbrock heads.