[DeTomaso] Bob Byars Update

Matt Merritt mmerritt at eventvehicles.com
Mon Jan 12 00:39:16 EST 2009

Yesterday Richard Plotkin and I went to visit Bob Byars at his new rehabilitation facility in Orange, CA. When we walked into his room we found Bob watching a basketball game on an overhead TV.  Bob was happy to see Richard and me and, having been warned in advance by Gloria, we weren't surprised that he didn't remember our names.   Nevertheless we could see that Bob clearly knew exactly who we were.  After a few minutes Bob suggested that we go find a place to sit outside and started to slowly get up and into the wheelchair next to his bed.  After initially worrying that we were breaking some strict facility rule by letting Bob out of bed Richard and I wheeled him down the hall to a sitting area where we had a nice visit.

Bob remains disoriented and is clearly frustrated by his difficulty in remembering people and place names.  Richard and I reminded him that we were impressed by how much progress he'd made thus far.  The longer we were there the more alert Bob became.  At one point an old friend of Bob's named Kenny arrived for a visit.  Bob couldn't remember Kenny's name, either, but knew that they repaired motorcycles together when they were teenagers and it was easy to see how much Bob enjoyed hearing about their motorcyles and their long friendship together.

As we were leaving one of the nurses commented on the amazing number of friends Bob had and Richard and I were glad to hear that he'd had plenty of visitors.  We really felt that our trip was a positive thing for Bob and would encourage more of his friends to come visit.   It might be a nice idea to bring along a photo or two of anything connected to Panteras or things you and Bob might have done together.  When I go back I'll be sure to take a stack of Pantera International magazines with me.

Here's where Bob is currently staying:

http://neworangehills.com/index2.htm

NEW ORANGE HILLS
5017 East Chapman Ave.
Orange,  CA  92869
(714) 997-7090

I understand he's in physical therapy in the mornings so afternoon visits are best but it might be a good idea to call in advance.

Meanwhile, I know that each and every one of us in and outside the Pantera community send our very best wishes to Bob Byars and his wonderful family.

Matt Merritt