[DeTomaso] Comments about engine build welcome

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 21:26:28 EST 2009

> If you think this information is useful and valuble, then
> consider emailing Dan Jones and inquire about a monetary
> donation to his 351C Dyno Project.  It will obviously be
> a major resource and benefit for all Pantera owners.
> Contact Dan.   There are *more* engine parts and combos
> to test!!

Thanks.  Contributions always gladly accepted.
machine labor and valve train parts for 7 sets of
heads, porting labor, flowbench time all adds up.
If you do a reply to all to get my email address
(note the numeral 2 after my name), I have a Paypal
account set for dyno donations.

> Dan, how we doing for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

The dyno time is fully funded.  I've applied all the funds
I've recieved so far to the dyno time.  The rest is currently
coming out of my pocket.  I'll probably need to sell some of
my parts off after the dyno testing is finsihed to cover some
of the labor and parts.

> Dan--how about you issue a 'wish list' of 351C bits that you need
> to really round out your test?
>
> I know you need at least 2-3 different sets of aftermarket heads, and
> probably an intake or two?

I'm in Japan at the moment and don't have access to my list but,
off the top of my head, I have six sets of iron heads and A3, C302B,
CHI 3V and Pro Comp aluminum heads to test.  I've been offered a set
of AFD 4V heads to test but they are bare.  I'd have to cover the
funds to purchase valves and pay for the valve job.  I don't have
any of the aftermarket 2V aluminum heads (Edelbrock, AFD, CHI or TFS)
and would like to test those so if anyone has a pair to lend out, let
me know.  I've got a pretty wide range of intakes.  One that is missing
is the Ford aluminum dual plane with Holley flange.  Mine is on a
friend's Pantera engine.

I can probably come up with a better list when I return to the States
but some things I'd like to test include:

 1 7/8" long tube or modified Pantera headers with different collector design
 408C with high port aluminum heads versus 4V iron heads
 single plane or tunnel ram intake converted to EFI against carb and IR EFI
 cams of same overlap but different lobe separation, shorter versus longer
 exhaust

Mike, when I get some time I'll start editing my notes to work up some
articles for the POCA newsletter.

Thanks,
Dan Jones