[DeTomaso] Shock recomendations

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 15:45:02 EST 2009

Would agree with Goran and Doc's comments. A new set of shocks and springs does wonders for the average old car or even old Pantera.

As Mike Trusty says,
"I hate compromises and thats what you end up with in a street-performance Pantera that you also want to seriously track and open road race with. Even with a fully modified suspension with delrin bushings my Pantera is great for short or long road trips...the ride is not harsh at all. Even with his eyes closed my dog an attest to the smooth handling.

Besides the shocks and springs I took the shock development about 10 steps further on my Pantera changing out bushings, A-arm caster mods, sway bars, springs and shocks 2 or 3 times over the last 10 year before I got it the way I needed it. I got allot of List advise (always appreciated) but also got feedback from venders and shock mfg's.

Adding custom delrin bushings that Dick Drenske machined  and buying the double adjustable gas Aldan Shocks and springs intially from  Bobby Byers at Precision Proformance was a great experience.  Again no adverse ride changes.

Dick Drenske and Bobby Byers at Precision Pro-Formance both agreed two years ago that what they felt I also needed for the Silver State and other ORR roads was more compression on the rear shock and a little less spring....Bobby called ahead to Aldan for me to meet with the Aldan folks in Carson and they were great when we arrived and came to the same conclusions that  Dick and Bobby had discussed with me.

Aldan also checked the spring rates for the spring sets  I brought by, rebuild the Aldan gas shocks added about 25% more compression to the rear shocks and suggested I go with a little less spring in front  all of which we did while I went back to pick up the rebuild shocks at Aldan....

When I went to pay the bill, they said,

"Bobby said it was a 'no-charge' sale" .....that is a class act.

Mad Dawg Antenucci
Team Pantera Racing
"Go Fast or Go Home"

Göran Malmberg <hemipanter at hemipanter.se> wrote: A few more pounds in spring rate is not disasterous to ride quality.
What influence ride the moost is shock settings. The type of racing
shock I talk about in my previous mail will without doubt be sort of
harsh.
Goran