[DeTomaso] Shock recomendations

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Sat Jan 10 17:43:25 EST 2009

The wheelrate in roll is the sume of the bars and springs, and makes for the
cornering balance of the car. The springs alone, makes for the roll in
pitch,
like dive during hard brakings.
For road driving we want a little more rear compare to front heave wheelrate
that makes for a more pleasant vertical movement. For the track we will
need more front wheel rate as braking power is greater than acceleration
G:s. If we alter the springrate in this manner we must compensate the roll
blance by changing the sway bars to retain the same cornering balance.

As for schocks, the springrate used takes a certain ammount of dampening
power. This ammount is distributed between compression and extension
dampening. For a road car we should use more extension dampening and
softer compression in order to not get a rough ride travelling over small
bumps. At the track we should use the reverse and have softer rebound
dampening in order to get the grip back AFTER a bump. The compression
grip is not really a problem since the tires are forced against the upp side
of
a bump.

I was figuring calculating a Ohlins set-up for the Pantera that could have
an
easy change between the two settings to get a fair street comfort and an
easy
change for the track.

However, it takes a very serious driver to take advantage of this expensive
type
of coilover set-up:s, and if moost driving is performed with full tire grip
during
cornering it is a total waist. Then one should be more focused on the cars
driving
behaviour.
Goran