[DeTomaso] differences between flywheel

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jan 8 13:52:24 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/7/09 2:03:32 PM, detomaso at luleweb.se writes:

> What are the differences between 351C BOSS, HO, CJ and 4V flywheel?

None that I know of. They are all cast iron, 164 tooth, 28 in-oz external
balence, same part number and bolt onto any of the Clevalands as well as the
351W. The only 'difference' I was able to find is, the balence factor was
originally 28 in-oz and somewhere along the line, it changed very slightly to 28.2
in-oz. Those flywheels are characteristic of all stock flywheels from the period
by Ford, GM and Chrysler, that are well known to shatter at very high rpms. In
fact, they drove NHRA's push for mandatory scattershields for sanctioned drag
races. At least one Pantera was very badly damaged in a sanctioned drag race
in the early '80s by an exploding flywheel that tore big holes in the left
rear fender, decklid and subframe. No one was hurt due to the engine placement
but in front-engined cars, drivers lost their feet in flywheel explosions-
including Don Garlits! So if you still have the stock one, no high rpm racing and
especially, no missed shifts at high rpms! Aftermarket steel or aluminum are
much stronger but still need scattershields for competition. Good luck- J DeRyke