[DeTomaso] Cooling holes in A3 Heads & Lifter Failure Too

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 00:02:26 EST 2009

> I'm not sure if this is right, but my current 351C had the head gasket
> covering water jacket holes in the A3 heads which wont allow coolant
> to pass from block to head. As far as I can tell this passage goes
> underneath the thermostat housing. Anybody know if this should be
> blocked or not?

The head gaskets that Ford specified for A3 heads on a 351C block were
part number M-6051-A341.  They were blue teflon coated Fel Pros that
were similar to a standard 351C headgasket except the big square hole
(for the water transfer port) was replaced by a round one which matches
the threaded round hole in the A3 head.  There were also some minor
steam hole differences.  I believe the Fel Pro 1013 is an equivalent
head gasket and I think Victor Reinz and Cometic have similar gaskets.
The gaskets you show appear to be standard 351C head gaskets.
I think you are referring to the tadpole shape outline on the head gasket
which covers a pair of holes (one small and one large) on your A3 heads.
If so, one end of the head should have that open and one covered.  With
the 1013 gaskets, the covered pair have two small holes in the tadpole
outline.

> For use on a Cleveland, the frontmost hole in each head gets blocked with a
> pipe plug as well as the gasket

The instructions supplied with the A3 heads that you recently sent me
say you don't have to use the pipe plugs on the Cleveland.  As one an
iron 351C head, the solid gasket is sufficient to cover but as Jack
recommends, it doesn't hurt to use ONE pipe plug on the correct end,
as long as you make sure to recess the plug below the gasket surface.

> For a smallblock, the hole is open and a SVO water log with provision
> for a thermostat is added to the front of the heads

On a Windsor, you use pipe plugs in both holes and either bore a hole
in the intake manifold face (to port to an intake with integral
thermostat housing) or bore a hole in the end of the heads to go
to an external thermostat housing.

Jason, I'll forward you the Ford Motorsport instructions that Jack
sent me.

Dan Jones