[DeTomaso] speedometer cable

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 20:18:57 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/5/09 3 34 11, justingreisberg at hotmail.com writes:

> can anyone tell me where the speedo cable is routed?  I have had my car
> apart for so long that I dont remember, and it is not so obvious.  I assume it
> comes off the back of the speedo and then curves around to run along the
> driver side of the coolant tube tunnel, but then where?

No, not quite.   It ducks down under the center of the car and is held to the
chassis crossmember with a flimsy sheetmetal clip that is bent to secure it;
it then goes under the oil pan, and then alongside the shift linkage, through
a parallel hole and into the cabin.   It then runs alongside the left side of
the center tunnel, underneath the center console, in the general neighborhood
of the throttle cable, passes the throttle pedal and at the front of the cabin
makes a left turn and heads outboard, then curves up and into the back of the
gauge.

It is critically important to minimize the radius of the bends in the cable.
 Sometimes people make the mistake of routing the cable such that it makes a
sharp bend entering the back of the gauge, or exiting the gearbox.   Such
cables are never long-lived....