[DeTomaso] Pantera vs. Saturn drag race AT BIG BEND

michael at michaelshortt.com michael at michaelshortt.com
Tue Jan 6 15:31:04 EST 2009

Same question, now with even more confusion, knowing that foam is far less
dense than ice, the speed differential just doesn't seem possible in so
short a space/time and esp given that the total speed wasn't that great at
the time of contact.  Just curious how something can "slow down" 500 mph in
20-30 feet in less than 1 sec.  and with little mass - then still have
enough energy to maintain trajectory right through metal, etc.

Just never made sense to me that the sims were done at 500 mph, birds hit
Jets sometimes at greater speeds and unless it's a windshield /cabin
intrusion or caused a turbine failure, you never hear anything about it.

Yeah, you would have though that an inspection would be conducted in space,
even CDL Semi Truck drivers do a walk around after they hook up a new load,
and I've never flown with a pilot who didn't walk around a plane, do the
fuel test, etc, before taking off.  We even had a aircraft type checklist
for the race cars before every event.

But this is the same culture that noticed burned O rings on Challenger and
was so head up the ass frightened of losing their jobs that they never said
anything about it.

As Alan Shepard said, there is no comfort in knowing that you are sitting on
top of a collection of parts all supplied by the lowest bidder!

Michael

--

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia