[DeTomaso] Pantera vs. Saturn drag race

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Tue Jan 6 13:13:00 EST 2009

Thomas Tornblom skrev:
> adin at frontier.net skrev:
>> FWIW, a good top fuel car accelerates faster than the big missles
>> (data from NASA).  However, the rate of acceleration for these rockets
>> stays basically the same for a few miles (hundreds, or until they stop
>> for a traffic light).
>
> I thought they accelerated harder as they burn off fuel and gets
> lighter, or do they throttle down to compensate?

Looking at:
http://books.google.se/books?id=3dKnobYoOEQC&pg=PA76&lpg=PA76&dq=saturn+V+apollo+acceleration&source=bl&ots=Cg4dI4Jmq8&sig=LHSQ9m78Em5WsmS1jfwaUY8iQAE&hl=sv&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result#PPA76,M1

it appears that the acceleration increases from 1G (stationary) to 4G at
first stage separation.

Interesting to see that the thrust increases from the equivalent of 680
tons to 815 tons per engine as air pressure drops with increased
altitude. The center engine was shut down close to the end of stage 1
burn to keep the acceleration down.

--
Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:  Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 444 33 21