[DeTomaso] Cooling holes in A3 Heads & Lifter Failure Too

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 01:47:34 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/5/09 10:22:41 PM, jason.eaton at gmail.com writes:

> I'm not sure if this is right, but my current 351C had the head gasket
> covering water jacket holes in the A3 heads which wont allow coolant to pass from
> block to head. As far as I can tell this passage goes underneath the
> thermostat housing. Anybody know if this should be blocked or not?

SVO heads will fit either a dry-deck 351-C or a wet-deck Boss 302 or 351-W.
For use on a Cleveland, the frontmost hole in each head gets blocked with a
pipe plug as well as the gasket. For a smallblock, the hole is open and a SVO
water log with provision for a thermostat is added to the front of the heads. For
the wider-block Windsor, I think you have to saw the ends off the water log
and splice in a pair of short radiator hoses. FWIW- J DEryke