[DeTomaso] Fw: Fw: Gentlemen, Start Your Engines

Lynn Wall cars at wt-inc.com
Mon Jan 5 15:33:38 EST 2009

I had a kid work for me whose total compensation was north of $110K.  He
quit to go be a highway patrolman.  His dad was one, his uncle was one
yadda, yadda, yadda.  So I looked up what they made in Utah.  $13.00 per
hour to start and basically up to about $18.00 per hour max.  I suppose they
could make more if they became sergeants etc.  We keep in pretty good touch
and while I have never seen him happier I still cannot believe he made the
choice.  BUT I am incredibly happy that there are those that do.

My old scout master was a CHP and he retired with basically post traumatic
stress syndrome.  They say that repeated adrenaline rushes can screw up
people pretty bad.  He spun his cop car sideways in front of a big rig and
pulled his gun on the driver until "help arrived".  He has no recollection
of this and driver was promptly and politely sent on his way.  So while they
may not die as frequently as a garbage collector...., they probably don't
make as much and are subject to more risk than most, mental and physical.
Remember, these guys basically gave up the ability to own Pantera's and
other "necessities" so they can get bitched about by guys like us when they
try to enforce the LAW.  Since researching my buddies pay I never miss an
opportunity to discreetly by a meal for these guys when I'm in a restaurant
with them.

This morning I barely missed hitting a patrol car when I hit a patch of
black ice.  It was 22 BELOW zero and the officer was outside helping two
other motorists that were in the ditch.

Fireman, soldiers, teachers and law enforcement (and I'm sure most of those
on the list below) are studs and deserve "worship" anytime and anywhere.
The only difference between law enforcement and the others is that the
others didn't pull you over on that "really quite road, where you weren't
bothering anybody" to enforce the law.

I will never complain about the guys that "walk the wall" keeping us safe
when we are sitting home where our biggest worry is "where can I find two
piece rotors for my $50,000 car?".  I won't stand by silently while others
do either.

Sorry to all for the quick rant

Lynn (....so many owe so few, so much)