[DeTomaso] Carbon fiber brakes

Kjetil Finne kjetfinn at online.no
Mon Jan 5 12:27:47 EST 2009

I do not think the wear rate on street carbon fiber brakes are any
different than on steel discs, rather the opposite. The reason why the
F1 teams are changing the discs after each competition isn't
necessarily  that the discs are worn out. It's more that they are always
looking for maximum security, ad they have the money to do so.
Remember a whole bunch of super cars are coming with carbon fiber brakes
today. A friend off mine has a Porsche Carrera GT. This car has enormous
carbon fiber brakes, he does not report any problems braking either cold
or warm. However I do not want to be in his shoes when he is gonna
replace the discs, because a complete set costs like Tomas said in the
neighborhood off 11000$.
The new Ferrari California comes standard with carbon fiber discs, as
well as many off the high end models from Porsche , Lambo, Koenigsegg,
Zonda, etc.
None off these cars have cheap spare parts, so I guess that brake disc
wouldn't come cheap either. 129$ for a pair of Brembo Carbon fiber discs
sounds much to cheap

Kjetil
Pantera 1613