[DeTomaso] modified port plates for 180's

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 4 23:45:02 EST 2009

You mean like a Windsor?

That's one of the advantages of a Windsor over a Cleveland - assuming you're
using 180 degree headers.  If you're using traditional headers, you've got
to go down sooner or later, right?  What does it matter if the heads bend
the exhaust gasses or if the headers do it?

If you're using 180-deg headers, you're bending the gasses down by the
heads, and then back up with the headers.  I imagine there's some HP to be
gained by cutting off the exhaust ports and aiming them more skyward.

I don't think this is nearly as important as the intake, though.  The
exhaust is under pressure.  It can handle a few kinks here and there.  Think
about the mufflers.  Yes, they cost some HP, but imagine what would happen
if the intake had to breath through 2 mufflers.  Also - you'd have to worry
about fuel pooling/separation.