[DeTomaso] Harmonic Balance. Food for thought.

tony DiGiovanna tonydigi at optonline.net
Sun Jan 4 21:36:10 EST 2009

JackDeRyke wrote:" Sometimes, we skate REAL close to the limits without
realizing it."

Ain't that the truth:  Today, I was stripping down the Cleveland I broke
last May after 10 years of pounding it to death at Pocono.  I suddenly
noticed the stock, 30-year old, harmonic balancer had failed.  The outer
ring and rubber sandwich had migrated backward and was now lightly
contacting the timing cover.  That's like a third of an inch.  I had often
seen references here to walking timing marks and checked mine annually.
This year it was fine as usual before the event, but by the end of the day
it was as discovered today.

For reference, I bought a new SFI-rated replacement from Summit for $188 for
the new engine.  Nice piece and cheaper than all the viscous dampers.  Also
bought a zinc-plated new replacement timing cover from Summit for $128.  Way
better than all the stock covers I've ever had.  Somehow timing covers seem
to age at twice the rate of the rest of the engine parts.  Anyone ever seen
one that wasn't all ratty?  They don't even clean up well.  And the threads
on the two lower water pump bolts are usually tenuous at best.

I have officially added the harmonic balance to the list of Pantera parts I
would immediately throw in the garbage.  That's a new string.