[DeTomaso] WTB: Ford C9OX-D 302 Intake for Goose or F4BEdelbrock

steven.liebenow at att.net steven.liebenow at att.net
Sat Jan 3 21:31:12 EST 2009

Dan,

GREAT write up of all that info!!!

Sports Car Graphics took their Goose motor to AK Miller....and mentioned a LOT of what you say Peterson did in the early 70's....sounds like someone rewrote history and didn't do any of their own research perhaps!

SCG did three articles, from November or December of 68 to about Feb of 69.  They promised a 4th article, but by that time, I think flogging the car and dumping more money into it was less than promising....and there were other cars to beat (up)!!   They got pretty happy with performance, but were less than happy with the braking system... Even though the Goose uses the same calipers as used on the 427SC (road) Cobras, they really don't seem to work all that well, but then it could be pad related too.....mine seem hard as rocks....

I just located an F4B in reasonable shape from a buddy that just dug it out of his pile today! Didn't even know he still had it!

I want to see if it will fit up to my Y303 SVO heads, as the RPM and base Performer (once modified) fit the ports fine, but things like carburetors start hitting the jackshaft and bracket rather much! Older manifolds seemed to fit better.....  Then there is the air cleaner clearance thing...!  But, I need to make a carb fit before I can get to worrying about the air cleaner!

One of these days, I'll just drain the coolant and tear the intake off of the Boss, and start setting manifolds in there to see what clears and what doesn't in terms of vertical clearance!!

Worst case, I toss all this aluminum stuff, have a set of 351W heads rebuilt (exhausts ported), and put a cast iron 68 intake manifold back on and quit screwing around!  I'm only going to 6-6500K rpm as tops on the "Z" roller cam, and more importantly, my "comfort zone" in terms of spinning jackshafts....and parts.  Cast iron will get the job done if all else fails to materialize!

I can put all the aluminum stuff on a Mexican block I've been storing....just need to buy another car to put it in.....!

Thanks!
Steve