[DeTomaso] Mangusta Project?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Jan 2 19:41:51 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/2/09 13 54 40, Pantera007 at provamo.com writes:

> Who was looking for a Mangusta project?
>
> One 'box-car' has recently been added to the Registry.
> (box-car = car in a box.)
>
> One photo of it appears on the welcome page.
>
> I don't remember if
> this car is really for sale or not...  Mike Drew, can you refresh me
> on this car?  If for sale I'll need to create a For Sale ad page...
>
>>>Yes, it's for sale.
>
> You called it Mountain Mangusta II (or III) I believe.
>
>>>Yes.   It was purchased something like 25 years ago by a dentist in
Incline Village, NV (on the shore of Lake Tahoe).   He drove it for a couple of
years, then realized that it was riddled with rust, and decided to do something
about it himself.   He completely dismantled it, mounted it on a rotissierie,
and started hacking away metal.   Floorpans, rockers, forward part of the
quarter panels, all got hacked out, and he started doing some rust repairs, but he
quickly ran out of steam.

He was under the impression that the rear part of the chassis was
under-built, which accounts for the car's notorious handling, so he contracted with a
company that does fabrication for mining operations (!) to re-fabricate the
entire rear portion of the chassis in heavier-gauge steel.   This appears to have
been done in an expert fashion; in fact you can't even tell that it's different
by looking at it, other than the fact that it's painted.   They returned the
car to him along with the old chassis, which he dumped on the side of his
house; it's been sitting there for the better part of these 20 years.

For this, by the way, he was charged an outrageous amount of money, on the
order of $10,000!!!!!!

Anyway, the car is complete, except that it's missing two parts--the driver's
side window, and....and I forget what the other one is.   It comes with two
engines I believe; the stock motor is present, and the guy bought a souped-up
289 originally built for a Mustang, if my memory is correct.

All the other bits are there--wheels, even the original spare, ZF, interior,
etc. etc. etc.

The fellow lost interest in the project and it has laid untouched in the
basement of his house for at least 15-17 years.   He further lost interest in the
USA, and abandoned the house and moved to Mexico!   (Who abandons a $2 million
house???)

After months of trying to track him down, Reno-Tahoe Panteras president Jim
Nowlin was finally successful, and the owner has agreed to let Jim broker the
sale.

I believe the asking price is in the $20K neighborhood.   Although the car is
rusty, and would take some expert fabrication to complete, it is all there,
and it would be a shame to see it broken apart for bits.   But at some point,
the pieces become more valuable than the car as a whole, so I doubt he'd sell
it for less than $15K or so.

> >BTW:  I change the "Welcome Page Pic" at www.ProvaMo.com regularly with
> whatever strikes my interest as photos are sent in.  Sadly I get way more
> worthy photos than I can actually place on the welcome page even if I
> change it daily.
>
>>>I will forward the photos that I took of this Mangusta barn car.   Due to
the cramped confines and the fact I didn't have my camera with wide-angle
lens, it was very difficult to get any decent shots of the car.