[DeTomaso] Front wheel bearings cross reference?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Jan 2 11:44:10 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/2/09 6 38 9, Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se writes:

> While installing the offset A-arm bushings I noticed a bearing rumble
> from the left front, so I need to replace the bearings.
>
> I noticed some NAPA part numbers on the provamo web, but that is of no
> use here in Sweden :-)
>
>>>Actually, it should be.   All bearing manufacturers have cross-reference
lists, so if you tell them it's Brand X number 123, they can then cross that to
SKF which should be easily found.

> Anyone knows what these crossreference to, preferably some European car
> as that makes it much easier to find parts locally, both bearings and seal.
>
>>>Try "De Tomaso Pantera".   That's a European car. :>)

The front wheel bearings are common to billions of Ford products--Mustangs,
pickup trucks, passenger cars, going back for years and years, and besides
specific part numbers, they also correspond to a generic cross-manufacturer
description of BR2 and BR6.   Now, you have a GT5, and it's possible that the later
cars use different bearings, but I have never heard that, and so I highly
doubt it.

Here's the data from Bill Taylor's comprehensive Pantera Information
spreadsheet:

Front (all Timken):   Inner Brg #LM67048, Race #LM67010; Outer Brg# #LM11949,
Outer Race #LM 11910; Grease Seal National #4720 (0 or 8)3

Front (all Ford) Outer Race B5A-1217A Outer Bearing   B5A-1216A Inner Bearing
None Inner Race B5A-1202-A Grease Seal D16Y-1190A

Front wheel bearings seals     National/Federal Mogul P/N 472164    Front
Wheel Bearing Seal: NAPA PN 17387 (Chicago Rawhide)

Front Wheel Bearing Seal: NAPA PN 17387 (Chicago Rawhide)

Front wheel bearings: BCA Federal Mogul   A-2 & A-6. Parts marked Timken
67048 & 11949 with "Bower" on "NSK"   Fit 67-69 Mustang/Cougar hubs.

Some original front wheel bearings were marked with: NTN 4T LM 11949   &
NTN 4T LM 87048

Front wheel bearing grease seals: Federal Mogul 472164.

OEM front wheel bearings:   Timken: Outer Cone (Bearing) LM11949; Outer Cup
(Race) LM11910   Inner Cone LM67048; Inner Cup 67010   Seal: SKF 17387

Front Wheel Bearings: Chicago Rawhide (SKF) Inner: BR6     Outer: Br2
Seal SKF: 17387

Now, if you can't procure bearings locally with all those cross-references,
well....that would be pretty sad! :>)