[DeTomaso] Engine Issues-Drain Back Oil Friction and Windage Trays

Chris Difani cdifani at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 1 15:51:27 EST 2009

Guys:

I'm at the point of installing my engine into my '73L. While I have a windage screen installed, there's a couple of other things I could do to minimize the "drain back oil to spinning crankshaft" problem.

My question for the engine gurus is just how important is a windage screen, and keeping the drain back oil out of the crankshaft's path?

While I realize how it works in keeping the oil from getting "picked up" by the spinning crank, how important is that? What benefit does it provide in terms of horsepower? Is this only worthwhile when the engine's wrapped tight at 7000RPM? Or does it help us as we idle down the freeway at 1600RPM?

As always, thanks for your time, and for sharing your knowledge,

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"
The Electric Pantera