[DeTomaso] Quenched Head Rework or Tweaks???

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Thu Jan 1 15:04:55 EST 2009

Dear Thomas,

         You wrote:

> HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  2009 is going to be a much better year cause the Panter
> should be back together.

$$$$$    I agree.  My Pantera engine install is almost done.

> I followed Jack's advice to go from the 72 open chambers to 71
> quenched chamber heads...they should arrive in a week or two from a
> fellow Pantera owner who had a complete set sitting on the shelf and
> gave me a smoking deal (Thanks Julian!!). I'm 90% sure the valves are
> original OEM. What kind of valve failure rate do the OEM values have
> once their three and a half decades old? I recall they're two piece, and
> have read that some opt for one piece valves....I'm ok with
> the OEM's for now if their dependable at this age.

$$$$$$$   I would strongly advise installing new valves.

> I'll end with a 10.5 to 1 CR+/-, (I will probably surface the heads to
> make sure
> they're flat),  balanced stock lower end with TRW forged flat tops. I'm
> removing the dual points and sticking in one of the electronic pointless
> modules
> with a rev limiter to keep it around 6,000-6,500. Cam was replaced
> (previous
> owner) with a 498 lift intake and 510 lift exhaust, duration 262 intake
> 272 exhaust. I will make sure the cam is set at 0 degrees.
>
> Should I do any porting (JUST KIDDING!!! Couldn't resist asking that).
> Actually
> I may just clean up and smooth the exhaust ports.

$$$$$$   I would advise leaving the intake ports alone.   They are
sufficiently large for your purposes at present and any porting is more
likely to be detrimental and beneficial.    Expend your enthusiasm and time
cleaning up the exhaust ports.

> Are OEM springs ok to 6500 rpm if this combination will go that high?

$$$$$$$   Sure----when they were new........If you're keen to visit 6500
rpms, then I would advise you relay your cam specs, intake and desire for
6500 rpm to a reputable vendor, i.e.  Comp Cams, Crane, etc and get their
recommendations for springs to obtain an optimum combination.

               Good luck and good wrenching,  Chuck Engles