[DeTomaso] Quenched Head Rework or Tweaks???

Thomas Borcich tborcich at msn.com
Thu Jan 1 14:42:49 EST 2009

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  2009 is going to be a much better year cause the Panter
should be back together.

I followed Jack's advice to go from the 72 open chambers to 71
quenched chamber heads...they should arrive in a week or two from a
fellow Pantera owner who had a complete set sitting on the shelf and
gave me a smoking deal (Thanks Julian!!). I'm 90% sure the valves are
original OEM. What kind of valve failure rate do the OEM values have
once their three and a half decades old? I recall they're two piece, and
have read that some opt for one piece valves....I'm ok with
the OEM's for now if their dependable at this age.

I'll end with a 10.5 to 1 CR+/-, (I will probably surface the heads to make sure
they're flat),  balanced stock lower end with TRW forged flat tops. I'm
removing the dual points and sticking in one of the electronic pointless modules
with a rev limiter to keep it around 6,000-6,500. Cam was replaced (previous
owner) with a 498 lift intake and 510 lift exhaust, duration 262 intake
272 exhaust. I will make sure the cam is set at 0 degrees.

Should I do any porting (JUST KIDDING!!! Couldn't resist asking that). Actually
I may just clean up and smooth the exhaust ports.

Are OEM springs ok to 6500 rpm if this combination will go that high?

I believe the heads are ready to bolt on, the seats are in pretty good shape
with a recent 3 angle grind and the stem seals are soft and pliable.  From
pictures they look very clean and to have very little mileage on them since
a rework.

In high school I had a 67 Mustang GT Fast Back with a 289...stock Ford valve train...
I reved the sheeeeet out of that motor for years and never lost a valve or kissed
a piston...definitely floated the valves a few times....point is the 351C
has to have as good or better stock valve train than the 289...so why
change for my purposes are (fun driving and a track day a few times a year).
I'd rather put time into other areas of the car to get back on the road.

Tom Borcich