[DeTomaso] Brilliant fuel filler modification

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Feb 28 21:36:24 EST 2009

Hi guys,

When I bought #3960, it had the stock early-style fuel filler arrangement,
which was borderline in the pre-smog days, and completely unworkable with modern
fuel fillers with accordian-style rubber boots.

The very first thing I bought for the car was a gooseneck fuel filler, which
profoundly improved my quality of life.

It's been years since I've seen an early car without one of these things, but
amazingly #3535 (which spent its whole life in California) was lacking this
crucial modification.

Getting one used to be as simple as phoning your favorite vendor, but now the
supply has dried up.   They are cast aluminum, and the mold (which Gary Hall
had made in the early 1970s) is worn out; it would be too expensive to tool up
to make a new one, since most thinking people who need one, already have it.

So I had to hunt around pretty hard to find one; Dennis Quella had a damaged
one on the shelf (the threads were boogered up).   I was successful in getting
him to have the threads recut (I think they whacked a half-inch off the end
and then re-threaded it), and when I opened it up, I was surprised to see that
it had further been modified by Dennis:

A piece of pipe has been added to the bottom, extending down into the fuel
tank.   This mimics the arrangement of the stock filler.   This pipe creates an
air bubble in the top of the tank, preventing overfilling.

Mine lacks this feature, and as a result, it is very easy for me to fill the
tank to the point where fuel flows out of the overflow valve and onto the
ground (only because I don't have the stock canister; presumably it would flow
into that canister otherwise).

Ironically, one of these impossible-to-find fillers (with a less-nice cap) is
sitting on E-bay right now:

http://tinyurl.com/bez6kt

If you happen to be one of the poor souls who has an inside filler and you
don't have this thing, do not let this opportunity pass you by!   Bid on this
sucker, and if you win it, make sure you modify it before installing it.

(I think the steel pipe is attached to the aluminum filler using JB weld?)

Mike (going to pull his filler and do the same thing!)