[DeTomaso] 2nd car to pantera

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 17:40:31 EST 2009

OK Dave,

    I bought a new 98 Buick Regal GS, put 180,000 miles on it without much going wrong, and bought a use 03 when it started to have issues.  "Personally" I think it's one of the best looking cars ever made.  Here is an 04 on ebay with 36K miles with a buy it now of $10K:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GS-JOESPH-ABBOUD-EDITION-SUPERCHARGED-VERY-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ230328108320

     I get 31 MPG cruising at 70, but only about 16 around town.  I love the interior, and the front seats are very comfortable for me.  The rear seats are marginal.  0-60 is like 6.6 sec, and I assume you can tighten up the handling.

    Being a $30K car, it obviously does not have the quality of a Mercedes or BMW, but it hasn't had parts fall off either, and the interior looked OK for a long time, but there were splits in the "cheap" leather seats of the 98 after 120,000K miles.

    I think it's a great car, and the only other American can I would consider is a Vette, but not the current production.  I think due to the economy, 03 Vettes with low mileage are becoming $20K cars.

    Of course, GM in their infinite wisdom, replaced the Regal GS with a car that looks awful to me, which is why I bought a used 03.  I think if they had called it the "GS" versus "Regal GS", it would have sold better.  People just don't think of a Regal as a fun sporty car.

Ken