[DeTomaso] NPC:   California Lottery

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Feb 27 21:22:58 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/27/09 11 11 25, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> I've heard:
> - The state is not refunding any money on tax returns.
>
>>>Before the budget was signed, there was a very real threat that state
income tax refunds would be delayed.   I don't think that will happen now.

> - The state is paying some employees in some sort of vouchers instead
> of money.

two unpaid days off each month.

> If things like this are the actual case, is there still a California
> lottery?  If so, how the hell does that work?
>
>>>All profits from the lottery (that is, those profits that aren't going to
the private company that administers it) go ONLY to a state educational
fund--those monies can't be used for anything else.

> curious minds would like to know.
>
>>>California has the highest-paid teachers in the USA, and some of the worst
performance numbers, largely attributable to the huge number of immigrant
students (illegal and otherwise) who are English-challenged, and educationally
challenged generally.   There are something like 50+ different languages spoken
in LA county public schools I believe.