[DeTomaso] sway or not.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Feb 25 10:06:47 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/25/09 6 41 57, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> How do you adjust the diameter of a bar of steel?  There are different
> sizes
> and there is hollow and solid, I have never encounted anything else, please
> educate me?

You don't adjust the diameter.   You adjust the length.

Or rather, you adjust the interface between the suspension A-arm, and the end
of the sway bar, to change the effective length of the sway bar arms, with
adjustable end links.   Here, a photo is worth a thousand words.   Here's Dale
Eriksen's factory Gr3 Pantera front suspension:

Note the link connecting the end of the sway bar to the A-arm.   It is
heim-jointed on each end to allow great freedom of movement.   The upper link clamps
around the bar, and it can be slid to any of a number of different positions.

The closer the link is to the end of the bar, the more leverage the
suspension has to work against the bar, effectively making the bar 'softer'.   In this
photo, the front suspension is set at the full soft position.   Moving the
link inwards reduces its leverage, making the front bar 'stiffer'.

Of course, this scheme requires trial and error, adjustment in the pits, and
then once the suspension is set, it stays there for the duration of the race.

There are other schemes, including cockpit-adjustable sway bars, which are
really super tricky-dicky.   These work by having a 'blade' on one end,
controlled with a cable.   The sway bar end is knife-shaped, so that when it is
standing vertical, it is extremely strong, and when it is horizontal, it is
relatively flexible.   The rotation of this blade is controlled from the cockpit via a
knob connected to a cable, so that the driver can adjust the swaybar
stiffness on the fly.

Here's a photo of such a setup:

http://www.hrpworld.com/client_images/ecommerce/client_39/products/1432_1.jpg

This is in the halfway position.   Here's another image:

http://www.hrpworld.com/client_images/ecommerce/client_39/products/1432_2.jpg

This is the full stiff position.

Neat, eh?

Interestingly, the bar end is usually fixed on one end of the bar and cockpit
adjustable on the other; having only one side of the bar variable influences
both sides equally.   That's cosmic, but somehow it works...

Sometimes, cars will have blades on each side, with only one of them
adjustable from the cockpit; one blade will be rotated to a certain position in the
pits for the initial rough adjustment, and then the other one will be rotated
from the cockpit for fine-tuning.   These types of sway bars are used on all
Trans Am, NASCAR, Grand Am, Le Mans cars etc. etc.