[DeTomaso] Tire and wheel sizes

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Feb 24 16:04:13 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/24/09 8:32:56 AM, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> Last week, somebody mentioned how getting larger wheels was really a
> $10,000 expense; they were not kidding,

That would have been me from 10 or so years ago. This slippery-slope
rationale may be worth repeating for newer owners:
Big 17" or larger aluminum wheels run around $2500 or so for 4. Speed-rated
tires to fit the big wheels run another $2500-up. Then you notice that the
stock brakes, more visible thru the larger holes in the big wheels, look like
toys, and with all that new traction, the car should certainly stop better than
stock. Big brakes may cost another $2500.... Better shocks and bigger swaybars
and poly bushings with outer sphere-balls will maximize the handling- for
around $1800 more.
Six months later, you find the paint over the rear quarter panels and below
the tail lights starting to crack from the forces those giant tires and brakes
feed into the Pantera's monococque chassis. Seam-welding the entire rear body
and/or a proprietary chassis brace system plus a good bay-brace from one of
the vendors fixes the paint (and metal!) cracking- at another $1200-$1500. (Add
$5000 for a repaint). Sure, a talented penny-pincher can low-ball maybe 25%
off the above numbers, and some mods can be done over time or at home, but the
main points still pertain.
Bottom line: on these fine cars, one thing always leads to another and
nothing is simple or cheap. Good luck- J Deryke, slippery-sloper #1

Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.fre
ecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3Dfebe
mailfooterNO62)